Police Non-Emergency Services

Police Non-Emergency Number Launched


An easy to remember non-emergency police number was launched in this region on Tuesday December 13th 2011. The public should now call 101 for non-emergency issues such as minor traffic collisions, criminal damage or if they want to speak to a local neighbourhood officer about an issue affecting their community. The new number was introduced in the Cleveland, Cumbria, Durham, Northumbria and North Yorkshire force areas as part of a national roll-out designed to make it easier for people to contact police. Chief Constable Jon Stoddart said: "This is a simple number which should be easy to remember. We want people to use it when they’re reporting a crime or incident, which doesn’t need the 999 response. "By using this number people will be able to contact their local officers, as well as helping to reduce the demands on the 999 system, which is for emergencies only."

The new number replaced current non-emergency numbers but calls would still be answered in the same police communications centres by the same police personnel. When calling 101, the system will determine the caller’s location and play a recorded message announcing the police force they’re being connected to. If they are on a boundary between two or more forces, the recorded message will give them a choice of which force to be connected to.

Calls to 101 will cost 15p per call, no matter what time of day it is, or how long the call lasts. This means everyone calling the police will know exactly how much a call will cost them, whether they’re calling from a landline or a mobile phone. Calls are free from public phone boxes. People should continue to call 999 in an emergency - when a crime is in progress, there is danger to life or violence is being used or threatened. Local councils should still be contacted on their existing phone numbers for issues such as dog fouling or litter.


101 is now the number to call when you want to contact your local police – when it’s less urgent than 999.

When should I call 101?


To report less urgent crime or disorder and for general police
enquiries. For example;


  • if your car has been stolen
  • if your property has been damaged
  • when you suspect drug use or dealing
  • to report a minor traffic collision
  • to give the police information about crime in your area
  • if you’d like to speak to your local police officer


How does it work?


You can call 101 to contact your local police force. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For more information visit https://www.police.uk/contact/101/

What does it cost me to call?


Calls from landlines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day or how long you are on the phone.

Can I call 101 if I’m deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired, or if English is not my first language?

Yes, If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can textphone 18001 101. If you have difficulty speaking English, your local police can access interpreters who can translate your call.